Stabilis Professional Services, Inc. (a recruiting division of Core Resource Group) is looking for an Underwriter for their client in New Haven, CT. This is a full time position.
Underwrites individual life insurance contracts ranging in amounts through $749,999. Selects individual life insurance risks, binding the organization on each contract. Assists in training underwriting staff.
- Assists in training underwriting staff; coaches, provides feedback, counsels and motivates employees. Makes recommendations on hiring, performance appraisals and all related employment issues.
- Appraises, classifies and takes action to approve or decline applications for new insurance, changes of plan, conversions, exchanges, reinstatements and additions of benefits.
- Determines extra premiums for medical impairments and special hazards such as aviation, occupation, foreign residence and travel and unusual avocations. Classifies each insurance applicant to eliminate adverse selection while maintaining an equitable mortality.
- Provides second review of special cases for accuracy and adherence to underwriting standards as needed.
- Communicates with field force and Home Office personnel regarding insurance applications and adjustments.
- Answers inquiries from other departments and field force concerning the Order underwriting policies, practices and procedures related to individual applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies and insurance products/offerings.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and health metrics and physiology to make a risk assessment.
- Able to interpret EKG results.
- Knowledge of federal and state insurance regulations
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good business judgment/risk assessment skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of making informed, independent decisions.
- Attention to detail.
MUST HAVE Individual Life Insurance underwriting experience.
In Addition: Ingenium, Life 70, IDM, AWD. Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Education: BS or BA degree.
Experience: Over 5 years of related underwriting experience. MUST HAVE Individual Life Insurance underwriting experience.