Stabilis Professional Services, Inc. (a recruiting division of Core Resource Group) is looking for a Director of Financial Reporting for their client in New Haven, CT. This is a full time opportunity.
- Responsible for overseeing all Accounting Department activities, including general accounting, accounts payable, investment accounting, and financial statement preparation.
- Assists Chief Accountant with proper recording of the assets, liabilities, income and expenses for the Order and its affiliated entities.
- Responsible for the preparation of all financial reporting to the Officers and Directors of the Order and to various regulatory agencies.
- Assist Chief Accountant with oversight of the administration of software systems including Workpaper manager, securities accounting, and the mortgage loan systems.
- Assists with monitoring, assessing, and applying accounting changes under U.S. GAAP and Statutory accounting as well as IFRS accounting for Canadian operations.
- Responsible for working closely with outside accounting firm in the preparation of U.S. and Canadian tax returns for all entities. Key interface with the external auditors.
- Oversees the activities of the Department including directing, advising, reviewing and managing direct and indirect reports; makes recommendations on hiring, performance appraisals and related employment issues.
- Trains or provides appropriate training for employees; coaches, provides feedback, counsels and motivates employees.
- Oversees the process of preparing for and assisting the internal and external auditors, including preparation of the quarterly Model Audit Rule (MAR) testing required.
- Responsible for the preparation of quarterly and annual statement filings for the Order as well as quarterly reporting for the affiliated entities; and assist with preparation of the U.S. and Canadian tax returns.
- Responsible for preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports for senior management. Prepares specialized accounting reviews for senior management. Provides recommendations for strategic changes to financial/accounting operations, challenges current operations to find better approaches and enhances programs and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 8-10 years’ experience in Public Accounting with an Insurance Background, and Supervisory / Management experience.
- Experience dealing with regulatory agencies.
- Public accounting knowledge and experience.
- Experience with accounting systems.
- Mathematical skills.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Must be customer service oriented with superior oral and written communication skills.
- Supervisory Skills.
- Life-70, lngenium, Workpaper Manager (a plus, nice to have).
- General ledger systems, Clearwater Analytics lnvestment Accounting.
- Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- BS in Accounting.
Licensing / Certification: A CPA is required for this role.